skip to Main Content

The University of Hawaiʻi Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (UH CSD) offers an online Speech Pathology and Audiology Prerequisite Program (SPAPP) through the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) and UH Mānoa Outreach College. This prerequisite program includes seven recommended courses and one elective course and provides a foundation for students interested in applying to graduate programs in speech-language pathology or audiology in the United States. The seven recommended courses (and one elective course) can be completed within one year. Students receive a letter from the SPAPP director documenting completion of all seven courses with a B- or better. Individual courses may be taken if desired. Courses are taught by UH CSD faculty from JABSOM and are available during the courses to advise students.

Our program is ideal for individuals:

  • Who need to complete prerequisites courses to enter a Master’s program in CSD or a Doctor of Audiology program.
  • Working in a CSD related field and/or have career goals related to working with individuals with communication disorders.
  • Who may not be able to attend classes on-site.
  • With a desire of completing the courses within a minimum of one year.

What is a Speech-Language Pathologist?

Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients with communication and swallowing disorders, such as stuttering, autism, articulation and language disorders, language-based learning disorders, reading difficulties, traumatic brain injury, voice and swallowing disorders, aphasia, dementia, and hearing loss.

SLPs work with a wide variety of people, from infants to senior citizens, and work in settings such as schools, hospitals, rehabilitation centers, skilled nursing care facilities, private practice, and academia.

What is an Audiologist?

Audiologists are the allied health professionals who evaluate, diagnose, treat, and manage hearing loss, tinnitus and balance disorders in adults and children. They conduct hearing and balance tests, fit and dispense devices such as hearing aids, and program cochlear implants. Audiologists earn a Doctor of Audiology (Au.D.) degree and work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, private practice and clinics (e.g., Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT); university, schools, military, Veterans’ Administration (VA) hospitals, and government.

Admission Requirements

To attend an Outreach College Extension term at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, students submit an application for admission, and upon approval, register for courses.

You are eligible to apply for admission if:

  • You are a high school graduate or a GED equivalency
  • You are a current or former student of a regionally accredited U.S. college or university with a college degree or 24 transferable college credits and in good academic standing at your home institution.
  • You are a native English speaker or are proficient in English.

An acceptance email or letter will be sent to you. Once accepted, go to the MyUH Portal to register.

Click for Application Requirements and Residency Form Deadlines

Credit Course Tuition and Fees

For your inquires about Tuition and Fees please click here. 

Back To Top