skip to Main Content

What makes your graduate SLP program special?

  • Our graduate program which accepts only 16 students every year, provides individualized attention to each student.
  • Clinical training is a strength of our program. We have a 3:1 student-to-clinical instructor ratio which allows us to provide in-depth clinical education for the students, and evidence-based services for our patients.
  • Our open-door policy allows open communication between the instructors and the students, promoting academic mentorship and professional relations.
  • The staff, students, and patients come from diverse backgrounds which offer a rich clinical and cultural experience for all.
  • Being a small program, our students get to know each other well and build life-long friendships.
University of Hawai’i Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) Program Questions
1) When does the program begin?
  • We start a new cohort every fall semester. For specific information on upcoming semesters, visit and select the semester calendar you are interested in viewing. You can also view tentative calendars for future semesters from this link.
2) When can I apply?
  • The deadline to apply is January 15th. Applicants who are offered admission would start in the fall semester.
3) How much will the entire program cost?

Clinical Placements

1) What facilities are available for off-campus clinical placements?
  • We have affiliations with a variety of different pediatric and adult facilities in-state. Sites include Department of Education (DOE)/schools, early intervention, hospitals, skilled nursing facilities and private practices.
2) How are off-campus clinical placements determined?
  • The clinic coordinators will determine placements based on the student’s performance in class and clinic, site availability, and student interest. There are no guaranteed placements, as they are subject to availability.

Other Questions

1)  I am a student at UH Mānoa interested in becoming a Speech-Language Pathologist. What can I do as an undergraduate to prepare for this career?

  • The University of Hawaiʻi Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (UH CSD) offers an online Speech Pathology and Audiology Prerequisite Program (SPAPP) through the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) and UH Mānoa Outreach College. This prerequisite program includes seven required courses and one elective course and provides a foundation for students interested in applying to graduate programs in speech-language pathology or audiology in the United States.  If you are considering applying to UH Mānoa for graduate school you can visit this website at to help map out your undergraduate curriculum.
  • Here at UH Mānoa we do not have a specific undergraduate degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders. As a pathway to becoming an SLP, many students work through the Interdisciplinary Studies Program to design an Independent Study Program proposal which would satisfy the prerequisite requirements to apply to graduate school at UH Mānoa, or many other graduate programs. To contact the Interdisciplinary Studies Program, visit their website at

2) When do we start working directly with patients?

  • Under direct supervision of your clinical instructor, you begin working with patients during your first semester.
Back To Top