Prerequisite Certification Program

The University of Hawaiʻi Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders (UH CSD) offers an online Prerequisite Certification Program (PCP) through the John A. Burns School of Medicine (JABSOM) and UH Mānoa Outreach College. This program includes seven required courses and one elective course and provides a foundation for students interested in graduate programs in speech-language pathology or audiology in the United States. The seven required courses (and one elective course) can be completed within one year. Students can receive a certificate from JABSOM after completion of all seven courses with a B- or better. Individual courses may be taken if desired. Courses are taught by UH CSD faculty from JABSOM and are available during the courses to advise students.

Our PCP program is ideal for individuals:

  • Who need to complete prerequisites courses to enter a Master’s program in CSD.
  • Working in a CSD related field and/or have career goals related to working with individuals with communication disorders.
  • That may not be able to attend classes on-site.
  • With a desire of completing the courses within a minimum of one year.
 *Click for  PCP.Brochure-2017-2018

Admission Requirements

To attend an Outreach College Extension term at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, students submit an application for admission, and upon approval, register for courses.

You are eligible to apply for admission if:

You are a high school graduate or a GED equivalency

You are a current or former student of a regionally accredited U.S. college or university with a college degree or 24 transferable college credits and in good academic standing at your home institution.

You are a native English speaker or are proficient in English (click here for more information)

An acceptance email or letter will be sent to you. Once accepted, go to the MyUH Portal to register.

Click for Application and Residency Form Deadline

How to Apply/Register for UH PCP:

Here are a few links that provide the process and requirements to apply and/or register for courses based on your current academic position.

Current University of Hawai’i system students 

This includes University of Hawaiʻi undergraduates students with a MyUH account still active.

Note: Current UH Community College, UH-West Oahu and UH-Hilo students do need to obtain approval to register for 300-level or higher courses. Call Outreach College at (808) 956-7221 for approval.

Non UH system students in the USA

This includes individuals who are:

Not currently students in the UH system.

Students in the UH system who are scheduled to graduate or graduated but want to enter the program.

New UH system students who have not yet begun classes at UH.

International Students

This includes students who are not native English speakers or students who reside outside of the USA.

Credit Course Tuition and Fees

For your inquires about Tuition and Fees for our PCP course, please click here 

*This program is not part of a degree completion program and therefore not eligible for Federal Financial Aid.

Required Texts


If you still have questions about our Pre-Requisite Certification Program (PCP), please contact us by using the form below. For more information about our M.S. Program please click here.

Note: Please read through our website thoroughly prior to contacting any of our faculty or staff members with your questions.

University of Hawaiʻi Speech & Hearning Clinic
PHONE: 808-692-1580